ESL Conversation Groups
If you are a Purdue University student or scholar whose first language is not English, the Writing Lab's conversation groups are a terrific way to improve your fluency and expand your vocabulary. The conversation groups are also a great way to meet other Purdue community members, share perspectives and experiences, and learn more about other cultures.
Each week, the conversation groups will focus on a different topic. You will discuss these topics with fellow internationals and a Writing Lab consultant who can help you with vocabulary and expressions you may not know. The goal of the conversation groups is that you learn to speak more comfortably about topics that are important to you.
If you are an international undergraduate who would prefer to meet in a group with only undergraduates, you might be interested in our undergrad-only conversation groups, please click here.
To participate, just show up at the Writing Lab, Heavilon 226, at the scheduled time and sign in with the front desk.
Conversation Group Schedule
Fall Semester August 31-December 11
(No meeting on Labor Day, Fall Break, and Thanksgiving Break)
Monday 12:30-1:30 pm
Tuesday 1:30-2:30 pm
Wednesday 2:30-3:30 pm
Thursday 10:30-11:30 am
Friday 11:30 am-12:30 pm (TV Snack Chat)
Fall Semester Monday –Thursday Topics
(Fridays will be TV Snack Chats—see below for explanation)
- Aug. 31-Sept. 4: Restaurants
- Sept. 8-11: Jobs & Interviews
- Sept. 14-18: Jokes & Humor
- Sept. 21-25: Culture Shock & Adapting to Life in the U.S.
- Sept. 28-Oct. 2: Open Topic
- Oct. 5-9: Music
- Oct. 14-16: Academics & School Life
- Oct. 19-23: Dating & Relationships
- Oct. 26-30: Government & Politics
- Nov. 2-6: Language Games
- Nov. 9-13: Compliments & Insults
- Nov. 16-20: Living Arrangements & Dream Houses
- Nov. 23-24: Top 5 English Language Books
- Nov. 30-Dec. 4: Social Issues
- Dec. 7-11: Fads & Fashion
Friday TV Snack Chats: View and discuss American TV shows, movies, advertisements with a focus on language and culture. Some weeks will include American snacks.
For more information, contact the ESL Coordinator Vicki Kennell.