Helpful Resources for Creative Writing Students
This handout discusses the writing obstacles most frequently faced by beginning poets and fiction writers and will offer tactics for addressing these issues during a tutorial.
Last Edited: 2010-04-21 08:15:14
-Burroway, Janet. Writing Fiction: A Guide to Narrative Craft. Longman, 2006.
-Cameron, Julia. The Right to Write. Tarcher, 1998.
-Goldberg, Natalie. Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer Within. Shambhala, 2006.
-Hugo, Richard. The Triggering Town. W.W. Norton, 1992.
-Lamotte, Anne. Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life. Anchor, 1995.
-Laux, Dorianne and Addonizio, Kim. The Poet’s Companion. W.W. Norton, 1997.
-Stern, Jerome. Making Shapely Fiction. W.W. Norton, 2000.
- The Academy of American Poets
Search for poets and poems.
- Poets and Writers magazine online
Read articles on the writing life and interviews with authors. Ask questions of other writers in the Speakeasy Forum.
- Associated Writing Programs
Helpful for students looking for an MFA program.
- Best American Poetry and Best American Fiction anthologies, published every year and available at most bookstores.
- -Literary Journals. Tell students to check the periodicals at their school’s library, a local bookstore, or even online. (Note: Barnes & Noble and Borders don’t typically carry these small press publications.)