Exercise : Intermediate-level Paraphrase Exercises
- Please read the following passages carefully and paraphrase it.“In the United States, about six out of ten students in graduate schools are women. The same is true of today’s young adults who already have a degree beyond college. As a result, the Census Bureau expects that more women than men will hold professions such as doctors, lawyers and professors.” (Women Edge Past Men in Getting Doctorates, Voice of America, learningenglish.com)
- “The Human Relations Commission (HRC) was established by the City of West Lafayette to protect the rights of our citizens and to ensure that West Lafayette remains a fair and inclusive community.” (What is the Human Relations Commission?, City of West Lafayette Indiana, westlafayette.in.gov)
- “The years after World War One were an important turning point in the making of the American nation. The country turned away from the problems of Europe. Now it would deal with problems of its own.” (American History Series: The United States Turns Inward After World War One, Voice of America, learning English.voa.com)
Please read the following passage carefully and write a summary for them.
- “Business is the most popular subject for international students in the United States. At last count, 21% of foreign students at American colleges and universities were studying business and management.” (Business English Speakers Can Still be Divided by a Common Language, Voice of America, learningenglish.voanews.com)
- “There were more victories for supporters of the Tea Party movement. This movement centers on cutting taxes and government spending. It brings together conservatives and libertarians -- strong believers in individual liberty.” (More Wins for TEA Party Activists, but Will They Win in November?, Voice of America, learningenglish.voanews.com)
- “In the years after World War I, new technologies changed America. Technology made it possible for millions of people to improve their lives. It also brought great changes in American society.” (Movies Become Big Business in the 1920s, Voice of America, learningenglish.voanews.com)
Answer: Intermediate-level Paraphrase Exercises
Answers for both exercises will vary.