Answer : Apostrophes
The following sentences are punctuated with apostrophes according to the rules for using the apostrophe. Correct answers are in bold.
1. Who's the party's candidate for vice president this year?
2. The fox had its right foreleg caught securely in the trap's jaws.
3. Our neighbor's car is an old Chrysler, and it's just about to fall apart.
4. In three weeks' time we'll have to begin school again.
5. Didn't you hear that they're leaving tomorrow?
6. Whenever I think of the stories I read as a child, I remember Cinderella's glass slipper and Snow White's wicked stepmother.
7. We claimed the picnic table was ours, but the Smiths' children looked so disappointed that we found another spot.
8. It's important that the kitten learns to find its way home.
9. She did not hear her children's cries.
10. My address has three 7s, and Tim's phone number has four 2s.
11. Didn't he say when he would arrive at Arnie's house?
12. It's such a beautiful day that I've decided to take a sun bath.
13. She said the watch Jack found was hers, but she couldn't identify the manufacturer's name on it.
14. Little girls' clothing is on the first floor, and the men's department is on the second.
15. The dog's bark was far worse than its bite.
16. The moon's rays shone feebly on the path, and I heard the insects' chirpings and whistlings.
17. They're not afraid to go ahead with the plans, though the choice is not theirs.
18. The man whose face was tan said that he had spent his two weeks' vacation in the mountains.
19. I found myself constantly putting two c's in the word process.
20. John's '69 Ford is his proudest possession.Back to Questions