Answers Preposition Exercises
NOTE: The answers provided for each picture are not meant to be exhaustive, but are only an initial guide.
The man jumped into the pool.
The man has hair on his head and a smile on his face.
The man is in the water. - OR - The man is in the pool.
The 5ft sign hangs on the side of the pool.
The ladder leans against the side of the pool.
In the next section, write about the relationships in each of the pairs, using appropriate prepositions. Note that the preposition will not always go between the two items; they might even belong at the beginning of the sentence. When you are finished, share your thoughts with another student or with a teacher.
1. The physics lab closes at 11:00 p.m. on weekdays.
2. In the afternoon, Donald covers the phones.
3. The fiscal year ends on September 30th.
4. We recorded our biggest losses during fiscal year 2008.
5. The computers have been rebooting automatically since yesterday.
6. For two weeks, he has been working past 8 p.m.
7. Peiyi had to revise her presentation for a week.
8. The office thermostat was set to 78 degrees to save 10 to 15 percent on the electric bill.
9. Clara went into very specific detail.
10. Joshua stayed on his announced topic.
11. One of the union leaders spoke about the layoff plans.
12. The plastic needs to resist temperatures up to 300 degrees Celsius.
13. Professor Singh stood behind his student’s efforts.
14. She needs to choose between better pay and better fringe benefits.
15. The company is almost out of time to file the paperwork, and they are worried.